10 January 2013

Reflection

I managed to get in a few lovely, restful, really lazy days over the holiday season.  I hope that you did also.  But alas, a new year is upon us and I am in creative planning, looking ahead momentum.
I've been busy with the proverbial clean up and organizing that always happens at this time of year.  It doesn't always actually take place ~ some years I just think about it long enough that it feels like I've done something!  This year I have indeed been cleaning and organizing like a busy little bee.  One floor, numerous closets, drawers and trunks have been purged.  Another 1/2 a floor and a basement that resembles that of someone who hoards and we'll be done!  Actually, in fairness, the basement situation arose late this fall as a result of a renovation and just as I was about to begin preparing for the Christmas season in the shop.  Boxes and the like were simply relocated, temporarily, until after the shop closed for the season.
I have to admit, while I never like getting started, it feels really good once it's done.  Now, I'm in the mood for change.  The renovation is moving along and the cosmetic update to the master bedroom can begin to move ahead.  I'll keep you posted on my progress.

My love of wire storage baskets may prove useful.


Looking back on the Christmas season here in the shop I am truly mindful of what a lovely season it was.  Because of you.  We changed up the scenery around here this year and it felt refreshing and just as I imagined it should.  Those of you who graced our doors were happy to share your love of Moss Cottage and the changes we'd made.  Thank you. 
For the first time in some time I felt inspired in my work.  With comments like "it just doesn't begin to feel like Christmas until I come here" and "coming here just makes my soul happy" and other such lovely, generous, soulful notes, I find myself already looking forward to the most glorious of seasons in 2013.  
The hamster wheel is turning madly as plans for next year brew.  We really stepped up the "handmade" goodness in the shop in 2012 and you can expect a much larger presence of handmade goodness next year.  
Thank you for supporting local handmade goodness, I trust it brought you as much joy as it did me. 
In the meantime, I'm working on a few Cabin Fever classes for February.  You know, that month when you are just itching to get out and do something fun and new. 
Some great ideas are cooking for The Urban Farmchick soap line and a totally new idea for those of you getting hitched are in the works.  I have had my first meeting with a bride and groom to discuss the lovely flowers for their wedding, the seeds have been ordered and I'm seriously committed to updating the online shop. 
Whew!

Speaking of the online shop . . .
I'm really picky about the product photos for the blog and online shop.  I have a decent camera but I'm itching to take better photographs.  Which leads me to ask for your feedback.  I'm on the hunt for a new camera.  What I've learned so far is that folks are seriously committed to their "brand" of camera.   At this point, I'm open.  Canon or Nikon, Nikon or Canon.  What I'm after is a semi-professional DSLR.  My goal is to find a camera that allows for great close-up shots while allowing me to really control the background blur.  A beginner lens is on the wish list.  Any thoughts, suggestions ~ I'd love to hear.  
If you would be so kind as to share either by leaving a comment here on the blog or on 
The Urban Farmchick facebook page that would be FANTASTIC.

Cheers and really, all the best in 2013.

{Source:  mapleandmagnolia.com, google, interestbox.net/photographer-2}




1 comment:

  1. I have a Nikon D90 that I love. I always shoot with a 50mm lens on manual. It allows you to get a close up shot with background blur.

    ReplyDelete